Big Shot versus Big Kick

Share your top tips on stamping, quilling, embellishments and more....!

Big Shot versus Big Kick

Postby Kaye » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:24 am

Hi,

I'm looking to buy one of the die cutting machines but have no idea which one to get! I was going to get the Big Shot but now they have brough out the Big Kick which, being new, you would presume would be better or is it?
Anyone know the difference between the two and which one do you prefer?
Kaye

RE: Big Shot versus Big Kick

Postby craftwizard23 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:56 am

hi,
i have four machines...always used the red sizzix for die cutting..then i found the sidekick as it took pressure off the red machine with small thin dies!!

then..i found the big shot..its good..and does have its uses.

i would say find a shop that has a few machine out to test run..or ask to see one in use..then you can choose.
its upto how you get on with one..the easiest and how comfortable you are.
steve
craftwizard23

Postby Buffstar_2001 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:30 am

Steve. I would love a die cut machine but i can afford or house a big shot at the mo. I know the Sidekicks are only useful for thin cut but would say it is worth me investing in one to use? Or could I borrow yours to try out lol (joking)
Buffstar_2001

Postby craftymumof3 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:53 am

I have a sidekick whuch is great for the sizzlets and I had a Big Shot for Christmas which I like because you can emboss with it as well as using it to cut out the dies.
craftymumof3

Postby Kaye » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:54 am

... and are all the dies compatable with all machines? My friend has a big shot and when I get a machine we plan to share our dies so am I better off getting the same as her?
Kaye

Postby normajean » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:46 pm

I know that other makes fit these machines as well, but can't remember which. [&:]

But the Big Shot dies don't fit in the Red Sizzix or the Sidekick. You can use the Thin Cuts in a Sidekick/ Tag-a-long (same machine) and you can use all these thin ones in a Red Sizzix if you get the convertor.

I've got a Red Sizzix and a Tag-a-long as I get a lot of use out of both and the smaller machine is quicker for cutting out my alphabet.

Hope this helps. [:D]
There are lots of threads about on this subject.
normajean

Postby momiji » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:08 pm

Also been thinking of getting a die cut machine as I have some vouchers from christmas- not sure which one to go for....by the way normajean I have pm'd you re the pic of the quilt you wanted to see[:)]
momiji

Postby normajean » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:21 pm

I got it Momiji, thanks, it's very lovely.

Very sorry I did'nt get back to you for so long. Been very busy, and when I have been on it's been while I'm in work (naughty I know). [:D]
normajean

Postby EmmaJ » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:26 pm

[quote]But the Big Shot dies don't fit in the Red Sizzix or the Sidekick. You can use the Thin Cuts in a Sidekick/ Tag-a-long (same machine) and you can use all these thin ones in a Red Sizzix if you get the convertor. [/quote]

Big shot dies you can use in the red sizzix, just not the biggest ones, Thin cuts you can also use in the red machine but like the sizzlets you need the adaptor to use them, same as the emboss folders

You can also you quickutz in the red machine but need the adaptor and convetor to use them.

The big shot and big kick you can also use the all sizzix and ellison dies in just neeed what ever adaptor/convertor required.

I have a red sizzix and a zipe-mate. The zipe-mate can take brass stencials to emboss from too, and anything else that have a risen edge and emboss from it. I have even used the negatives left over from peel off in it and enbossed them. Zipe-mate also has it own range of dies. It will take the same dies that a red sizzix does.

It is all really confusing what machince does what bu once you find one that fits your needs its qite easy
EmmaJ

Postby Sillybirds » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:15 pm

Hi Girls

Right I would definitely go for the Big Shot it is fabulous. I have just sold my Sizzix machine as it was nowhere near as good in my opinion as the BS.

With regards to the Big Kick it will be nearer the £100 mark, whereas the BS has come down a lot in price and apparently according to Sizzix themselves it is no different to the BS at all.

You can use all your old dies with the BS and BK for the quickutz and boss cuts etc all I use is a small cutting mat and it is brilliant, you don't need any other bits with it, it all comes with your BS when you get it (well apart from the small cutting mat etc)

I have thin cuts, quickutz, original sizzix dies and my Thick Cuts and all go through the BS. I have just got some Cuttlebug Embossing Folders and they work a dream through the BS, fabulous buy - totally love it.

In my opinon it is a lot easier to use than the original Sizzix machine as you don't need lots of different adaptors etc to use all your other dies. It is easier to use as you just turn a handle and don't need any pressure to use it like you do with the original red Sizzix machine.

But again this is just my opinion but I hope it helps.

Sizzix are basically bringing out the same machine but with the sizzix brand name on instead of the Ellison name but they are the same company.
Sillybirds

Next

Return to Craft Chat